TRF French Bread
April 26, 2021
2 ½ cups Water (95-105°F)
2 Tbsp TRF Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
¾ Tbsp Salt
5½-6 cups Flour
Egg Wash //
1 Large Egg
1 Tbsp Water
1. Add warm water, sugar, and yeast in a mixing bowl. Stir, and let sit for a few minutes, until frothy.
2. Add the oil, salt and half of the flour. Mix until all the flour is mixed in. Continue to mix until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. If the dough feels sticky, add a little more flour, until the dough is no longer sticky but is still soft.
3. Cover the bowl with a towel, and let the dough rest for about 15 minutes.
4. Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
5. Once your dough has rested, remove if from the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Separate the dough into 2 pieces.
6. Gently roll each piece of dough into a rectangle. Using your hands, roll each rectangle up, starting from the longer edge and gently pressing out large air bubbles with the heel of your hand until you have 2 long narrow loaves.
7. Carefully place the dough onto your prepared baking pans with the seam sides down. Cover with a towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for 30-40 minutes, or until the dough has doubled.
8. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
9. While the bread is rising, make your egg wash by beating the egg and water together in a small bowl.
10. Once your bread has doubled in size, remove the towel and brush your egg wash all over the loaves using.
11. Using a serrated knife, make small angled cuts on the top of the loaf.
12. Place in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and baked through.
13. Remove from the oven, let cool and top with a slice of butter!